I am a freelance fashion journalist, currently working as online editor and writer at 1 Granary. Recent bylines include TANK, i-D, Perfect Number and AnOther Magazine. My focus is on sustainability, but I write on all aspects of style and culture, using fashion as a lens through which to view broader social and political issues.
Beyond journalism, I have also worked as a creative director and copy writer. This winter, Swiss underwear brand, SLOGGI, will release my debut digital campaign, Comfort Uncensored, created in collaboration with filmmaker Roni Ahn.
In December 2019, I will be graduating from Central Saint Martins with an MA in Fashion Journalism. During the course, I completed a market report on the integration of feminist activism in mainstream women’s magazines, and was commissioned to create a Sustainable Fashion Communication Manifesto for future students. In April 2019, I won the Marc Worth Award for Fashion Journalism.
In June 2018, I graduated from University College London (2015 – 2018) with a BA in History (2:1). Modules included:
- Independent dissertation: Beyond the ‘gay plague’ myth: applying the theory of intersectionality to the AIDS crisis (75 marks)
- Gender in Modern British History, 1850-1939
- Queer Histories
- London in the Twentieth Century: Imperial to Global City
- Race & Resistance in Black Atlantic Thought
2 A*’s and 1 A at A-Level including full marks in Graphic Communication
10.5 GCSEs at A* including Further Maths and German
Features Editor at Roundtable Journal (2017 – 2019), having started as an intern in January 2017 and having completed three months as Junior Editor:
- Liaising with brands, creatives and PR agencies to organise photoshoots, also working as a stylist and helping with creative direction.
- Writing and editing copy, interviewing musicians and artists, contributing to creative decisions and designing promotional material (including GIFs)
- Advertised four new roles within the magazine, fielding applications and interviewing candidates
Contributing writer and featured blogger (Chips’n’Gravy) for Northern Soul (2014 – 2019):
- Highlights include interviewing the ex-chief executive and artistic director of Manchester International Festival, Alex Poots
- Retweeted by TimeOut London
September – October 2018: Editorial internship at TANK magazine. As well as administration tasks, I proof-read copy and transcribed interviews for the print publication. I also produced original written content for TANK Live, links to which can be found here. The role also involved assisting the Social Media Manager with content creation, scheduling and copy-writing for Instagram and Twitter, covering both TANK and Because Magazine.
June – October 2018: Research Assistant for the campaigning journalist Alex Holder’s debut book. This role included sourcing and conducting original interviews with a diverse range of subjects about their relationships to money, as well as transcribing and editing these interviews.
President of UCL’s arts and culture magazine, SAVAGE Journal (2017/8). Formerly Treasurer & Events Manager (2016/7) and Food Editor (2015/6):
- Organising events, including two gigs (at The Old Blue Last and The Lock Tavern) and two Showcase events (at Waterstones Tottenham Court Road), featuring live music, spoken word, art and film. Arranged and mediated interviews with Caroline Issa, Advaya Initiative
- Writing and editing articles, producing promotional material, financial planning and management
- Liaising with writers, contributors, sponsors and UCL Union. Leading a committee of 20 people and a membership of over 100
- Pioneered initiatives to make the society more diverse and accessible through events, themed content weeks and a platform called Our Voices, where students can anonymously report cases of prejudice and discrimination at the university
Freelance writing for Banshee Publications, The University of Manchester, Didsbury Community Index and Steranko clothing boutique
November 2016: News-writing work experience at Kensington, Chelsea & Westminster Today
August – September 2015: Four weeks work experience in the marketing department at Brookfield Rose, dealing with 12 brand simultaneously, writing blogs, analysing customer MI and planning all social media output for three brands across multiple channels
September 2014: Won a competition to be the official youth reviewer of HOME Manchester’s inaugural production
2011 – 2015: Acted as a Lowry Dance Ambassador from the scheme’s inception, blogging for The Lowry, interviewing prominent dance companies and promoting dance in the North West